Buy European Driving Kit - Essential

Only £24.99

This kit has everything you need for your trip.
For more details see the full product page…

What do I need to drive in Belgium?

Compulsory items include:

Recommended items

  • Fire Extinguisher - vehicles registered in Belgium must carry an extinguishers but this is not compulsory for vehicles registered abroad. However, we recommend that you do carry one on board in this country.
  • First aid kit

What documents do you need to carry?

  • A full UK driving licence (you will need both the photo and paper counterpart. If you don’t have a photo license you should carry your passport or we recommend an International Driving Permit)
  • Evidence of motor insurance – third party cover is compulsory. Green Card recommended.
  • The vehicle’s registration document or a Vehicle on Hire Certificate – originals not photocopies

Useful driving information

  • You must be 18 or over to drive in Belgium
  • Wearing a seatbelt is compulsory, the same as the UK
  • No motorways tolls
  • You can’t use radar detection devices for speed cameras.
  • Children under 18 and less than 1.35m must be restrained with appropriate devices. The used of rear facing bay seats in the front of the car is prohibited unless the passenger airbag is disabled.
  • Trams have right of way in all urban areas.
  • Mobile phones can only be used with a hands free system
  • The Police impound vehicles with unsafe loads.
  • Use of the horn in built up areas is prohibited unless there is an emergency.
  • You must give way to traffic from the right (even if they have stopped at a junction or to let pedestrians cross), except on motorways, roundabouts and roads signposted with an orange diamond on a white background.
  • In some areas it is illegal to use cruise control – check for signs.

Belgian road and motorway speed limits

Police treat speeding very seriously, we advise all drivers to know the speed limits for roads while driving in Belgium.

These limits apply to private vehicles with or without a trailer:

  • Towns: 50 km/h (20-30 km/h in certain areas
  • Secondary rural roads: 90 km/h on most roads
  • Motorways: 120 km/h (90 km/h if using a trailer)

Local speed variations apply so please be aware of road signs and restrictions.

Drink-drive alcohol limits

  • Novice/Normal drivers: 0.5 g/l
  • Professional Drivers: 0.2 g/l

If you have a blood level of between 0.5 and 0.8 g/l you will be banned from driving for 3 hours and receive an on-the-spot fine on 150 euros. Refusal to the pay the fine will result in prosecution and a fine of up to 3,000 euros.

If you exceed 0.8 g/l an on-the-spot fine of 500 euros is applied and ban of six hours.

If you exceed 0.15 prosecution is automatic and can lead to a 12,000 euro fine and driving ban for up to 5 years.

Anyone holding a driving license for less than 2 years will automatically be prosecuted for any level above the limit.

Emergency numbers

If you need to contact the emergency services you’ll need to dial 112.


Whilst we endeavour to keep this information updated, the rules and regulations related to driving in Europe may change without notice and this information may contain technical inaccuracies. We cannot be held responsible for information which may become out of date or liability for incorrect information.

Also see