Buy European Driving Kit - Essential

Only £24.99

This kit has everything you need for your trip.
For more details see the full product page…

What do I need to drive in Poland?

Compulsory items include:

Recommended items:

What documents do you need to carry?

  • A full UK driving licence (you will need both the photo and paper counterpart. If you don’t have a photo license you should carry your passport or we recommend an International Driving Permit)
  • Evidence of motor insurance – third party cover is compulsory. Green Card recommended.
  • The vehicle’s registration document or a Vehicle on Hire Certificate – originals not photocopies.

Useful driving information

  • You must be 18 or over to drive in Poland
  • Wearing a seatbelt is compulsory, the same as the UK
  • Motorway tolls are charged
  • You can’t use radar detection devices for speed cameras.
  • Children under 12 and under 1.5m cannot travel in the front seat. They must be secured with appropriate restraints.
  • All vehicles must have dipped headlights or daytime running lights at all times. Fines are given where you fail to do this.

Polish road and motorway speed limits

Police treat speeding very seriously, we advise all drivers to know the speed limits for roads while driving in Poland.

Speed limits vary across Poland so you will need to take notice of local signs.

  • Urban roads: 50 km/h (5am to 11pm) and 60 km/h (11pm - 5am)
  • Non-urban roads: 90 km/h (70 km/h if towing)
  • Dual-carriageways: 100 km/h (80 km/h if towing)
  • Expressways: 120km/h (80 km/h if towing)
  • Motorways: 140 km/h (80 km/h if towing)

When travelling on a motorway the minimum speed limit is 40 km/h.

Drink-drive alcohol limits

  • All drivers: 0.2 g/l

If you have a blood level exceeding 0.2 and 0.5 g/l you will face penalties of heavy fines, and withdrawal of your driving license.

Blood levels in excess of 0.5 g/l will require you attend a tribunal who will set the level of fine along with a prison sentence and withdrawal of your license.

Emergency numbers

If you need to contact the emergency services you’ll need to dial or 112.


Whilst we endeavour to keep this information updated, the rules and regulations related to driving in Europe may change without notice and this information may contain technical inaccuracies. We cannot be held responsible for information which may become out of date or liability for incorrect information.

Also see